Sunday 23 October 2011

Living In A World Without You...

Dear Nobody,


In a world where the Internet is everything, suddenly having it taken away feels like you're suddenly missing something as vital as an arm - or more likely part of your brain. Being stuck in the middle of Snowdonia, in a miniscule village in the middle of nowhere, in my parent's house and having the internet essentially disappear is like being thrust into the middle of my own horror movie - especially if you're an internet-addicted tech-head like me. There are things you do without even a second thought with that you probably take for granted that you do online now - check your bank accout or credit card satement, pay bills, look up inane or strange things on Google or Wiki, or even write or read your favourite blogs. And that's not even covering the Facebook/Twitter/Skype etc communications. 

    As someone who trying to write, not being able to access or save my work and notes as uual from Dropbox is a nightmare - saving to the local hard drive is a foreign concept now, especially having being burned enough times by fried hard drives and stolen laptops - everything is now kept on exteral HDD and online servers simultaniously. Backups are backed up and also there is no need to carry aout flash drives if work is on an online server. Now iCloud is a permenant fixture, and App Store and iBooks are my new favourite entertainment centres, I feel I am missing out on new things and unable to back up everything from my iPod Touch onto the fabulous new iCloud is nearly sending me into a panic. I'm left wishing I had invested in an iPad 2 3G instead of wifi-only iPod Touch. Especially after I realised my train tickets home to London are online e-tickets and are still unprinted (though in this day and age of the tech- and eco-mad you'd think they'd accept a e-copy on yur BB/iPhone and save paper in printing them).

    Currently only able to access the internet with my BB Curve 9300 3G, I'm being shown the limitations of this device, nd seeing why so many have turned to the iPhone instead, investing in the all-in-one option - there are few limitations to Apple products, and with the iPhone apps being the most popular and best stocked of all the platforms, it really outshines everything, especially when you realise you have only your tiny, rather underskilled BlackBerry to work with. 


I tell you, writing this through the BB OS6 browser running on an internitant, mediocre GPRS signal was a feat of teeth-grinding patience and attention to detail. Kind wishing now had the new iPhone 4S instead and the Blogger app! 

No comments:

Post a Comment